Ingrown Toenails Cause Damage Deep into Toes
Ingrown Toenails are a painful foot condition due to their tendency to dig into the skin that surrounds the toenail. This condition can begin to occur as the toenail pushes itself beneath the skin of the toenail. Ingrown toenails can cause the nail to become infected as the nail cuts the skin of the toe. Failing to timely treat an infected toenail could cause it to get into the blood and produce other significant complications. Activities such as cutting toenails in an uneven manner can cause them to become inflamed. Moreover, genetic disorders or wearing tight fitting shoes can also lead to this condition because shoes that do not fit correctly tend to exert large amounts pressure on the big toe, which causes the nail to be pushed inwards and grow into the surrounding skin.
Treatment for this condition involves:
- Cutting toenails in an even manner.
- Wearing open-toed shoes to avoid overbearing amounts of pressure being applied on toenails by the shoe.
- Padding shoes sufficiently so as to avoid toenails brushing up against the hard materials on the inside of the shoe.
- Ingrown toenails may have to be cut to ensure that an infection is treated accurately.
- The entire toenail may need to be removed to allow for the new nail to grow correctly, and not in a curled mode. While the nail is removed, the nail bed may be treated with antibiotics to destroy an infection caused from the nail that was digging into the surrounding skin.
When ingrown nails get out of control due to a lack of timely treatment, they can cause great pain. We suggest you contact us to receive quality and timely treatment for this condition. Here at NOLA Sole Podiatry located in New Orleans, LA, our podiatrists, Dr. Kristina Robertson, DPM and Dr. Taylor Robertson, DPM, can get your toenails to grow correctly and put an end to the pain that this condition can bring to your toes. Make an appointment as soon as you notice a similar condition on your feet by calling our office at 504-302-1586!