Calluses are Rigid and Rough
Calluses come in a variety of colors, from white to brown. Footwear plays a large role in contributing to the formation of this condition because the skin of the foot comes into contact with the inside of the shoe in an abrasive manner and thickens as a defense means. This condition can also form from an uneven walk, high-heeled shoes, deformities or failing to wear socks to buffer the surface of the foot against rough surfaces on the inside of a shoe. The problem arises when a callus becomes infected. When this condition forms on weight bearing areas of the foot, they can become very painful. This condition therefore can quickly turn rough and painful when allowed to morph into a more painful complication.
Treatment for this condition involves:
- Having a callus trimmed through shearing of toughened sheets of skin; although, this procedure should be performed by medical professionals only as doing so at home could cause infections if there are unknown deposits underneath the callus.
- Wearing correctly fitting shoes that minimize friction and provide adequate space can provide dramatically positive results.
- Using socks.
- Staying away from high intense activities that involve running for long periods of time to alleviate the amount of stress placed on areas of callus growth.
- Utilizing cushioning pads to reduce friction.
- Using a semi rough stone to file down the calluses after soaking them in warm water. This may be accomplished at home so long as the stone is used moderately.
Calluses can cause feet a tough time if they are neglected. Please contact us for more information about this condition and how we can help eliminate them from your feet. Here at NOLA Sole Podiatry located in New Orleans, LA, our podiatrists, Dr. Kristina Robertson, DPM and Dr. Taylor Robertson, DPM, will provide your feet with comfort and a renewed vigor from the absence of calluses. Moreover, take a minute to make an appointment with us by calling our office at 504-302-1586 and discover why we are the best that podiatry has to offer!